Monday, March 3, 2008

Montana Methadone Deaths

I called up a coroner in Montana last week. I needed a document from him for a case I am investigating. When he learned I was a lawyer and looking into a methadone death, he struck up a conversation. He volunteered the following: Methadone is one of the most common drugs causing poisoning deaths in Montana. He has seen the numbers skyrocket in the last few years. I shared with him that my case involved a new prescription for methadone at 50 mg starting dose, which he remarked sounded "way too high." He shared with me he had one young man die of methadone and they learned that the prescription allowed him to take the drug as needed-- a recipe for disaster in a drug like methadone. He volunteered that, if I wanted to see patients dying from methadone, I needed to go to the VA Hospital. He said, "They are the worst." I said, "Have you called the medical board? Have you let them know that doctors need some education about this drug? "That is not my job," he said.

Phyllis Lile-King

Link to learn more

No comments: